You probably don’t know this, but the Super Bowl is this Sunday.
Other things you might not know- Richard Sherman went to Stanford, Peyton Manning is playing and it’s in New York (but really, New Jersey.)
With that business out of the way, here’s twenty things Giddy Up America thinks about this year’s game…
1. Broncos will win, 31-24.
2. But I’d rather the Seahawks win.
3. What does performing during half time do for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who are joining Bruno Mars? Does it re-vitalize their career or cement their status as a nostalgia act? Because if you think about it, their last album was released and fell off the face of the earth faster than talk of concussions would at dinner at Roger Goodell’s house. I think it comes down to what song they play. If they play “Give It Away,” then it’s nostalgic act. If it’s something they released in the past five years, then maybe it revitalizes their career. The key word being maybe.
4. It’d be a shame if Bruno Mars’ backing band wasn’t involved because they’re super tight and super good.
5. Really I just want it to be a good game.
6. Richard Sherman is not a thug, but whether he is or isn’t gets mentioned at least seven times during the game and 546 times during the pregame.
7. Seattle scores first with a field goal. Denver answers with a touchdown.
8. Why can’t the Super Bowl be on a Saturday? Or at the very least, on a weekend where Monday is a holiday?
9. I’m happy that it looks like the weather won’t be an issue. I want the game decided on the field.
10. Although I wouldn’t have minded if the weather was a mess, if only because I can’t stand the hubris of the NFL and would have liked to see them with egg on their face.
11. Why don’t all players have helmets like Wes Welker’s if they help prevent concussions so well?
12. Richard Sherman has an interception and breaks the Internet.
13. Even if Seattle wins, Sherman won’t win the MVP. This may also break the Internet. The last Defensive Back (and the last defensive player) to win an MVP was Dexter Jackson, who won it in 2003 when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat the Oakland Raiders. Sherman would have to have at least three interceptions to be in the running and I can’t see Manning throwing more than two.
14. A remixed version of “Treasure” by Bruno Mars featuring the Red Hot Chili Peppers is released next week. So take that Kendrick Lamar and Imagine Dragons.
15. If he wins the MVP, Manning thanks his teammates, his family, God in that order. He does not publicly thank the employees of the various Papa John’s franchises he owns, but acknowledges them with a well-timed wink.
16. If he wins the MVP, Russell Wilson thanks God, his teammates, his family in that order. He then gives a shout out to the Dominoes around the corner from his house.
17. Pearl Jam should really be in the running to perform during half time at a Super Bowl. So should the Foo Fighters, Justin Timberlake and the Roots. As much as I’d be opposed to it, Taylor Swift doing a half time show seems like only a matter of time. Early front runner for next year: Katy Perry. You heard it here first.
18. If Peyton Manning gets knocked out of this game with an injury, the violence in football debate ramps up to warp speed.
19. I really don’t want Wes Welker to win. I’d say it’s not personal, but it kind of is.
20. Regardless of who wins, the future of the NFL resides on the West Coast in the shape of the Seahawks and the 49ers. The NFC Championship game looked like an entirely different sport than the AFC Championship game. As long as both team’s quarterbacks and coaches are there, that’s not changing.